Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The House That Built Me

Miranda Lambert is one of the many women of Country Music. She represents the Southern women beautifully, through her life and her lyrics. She can be a little raw, but so can we all. Her latest recording has captured my heart and imagination. The name of it is 'The House That Built Me'.
My brother, sister and I were the children of a Southern Baptist Minister of Music. As such, we moved every four years. There have been many houses, communities and churches that 'built' me. Some are treasured, while others... Not so much.

A couple of months ago, my father's oldest sister died. She lived in the Mississippi Delta. You know you're from Mississippi if you know where and what that is! Let me clue the rest of you in, it is the land that lies between the Mississippi and Yazoo Rivers. Rich farmland due to the flooding of both rivers. This is the land that my father was born on. The tiny communities are the ones he grew up in. This is the land that 'built' him. He made sure that we, as his children, knew this land. We visited his parents, his sister. We attended as many reunions that we could.

Our dog, Poppins, was buried there on the banks of the Sunflower River. My brother and I would bury treasure (junk found in the shed). I wonder if an archaeologist hundreds of years from now would dig up and wonder at our treasure/junk. Here are some pictures I took, recording the landscape and textures of my Delta memories. One of the many places that 'built' me.

The Sunflower River

The drive to my grandparent's house

No comments:

Post a Comment